The News and Observer, Raleigh, North Carolina – Social Media and Analytics Editor
- Monitors Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit to find opportunities to interact with the community
- Develops best practices, coaches and trains staff in two newsrooms, including the Herald-Sun in Durham, North Carolina
- Leads innovation strategy on A/B testing headlines, mobile alerts and SEO-friendly content
- Tests trends and techniques on social media platforms for measured impact on readership goals
41 Action News (KSHB-TV), Kansas City, Missouri – Executive Producer of Digital Media
December 2015 – October 2016
- Oversaw team of four digital content producers
- Manged social media strategy to drive engagement on station’s social media accounts
- Executed innovative content strategies on the station’s digital platforms and OTT
- Monitored Google Analytics, CrowdTangle and Outbrain to gauge content choice, user experience and engagement
- Collaborated with digital sales to produce sponsored content, like Taste & See KC
- Built special sections and site features to enhance online coverage for station initiative, KindKC, and other news events
- Trained newsroom on social media best practices, engagement and multiplatform storytelling
WATE 6 On Your Side (WATE-TV), Knoxville, Tennessee – Digital Content Producer
September 2014 – December 2015
- Managed content and create text and multimedia stories for local television website which acquired an average of 284,000 unique visitors per month.
- Oversaw website and social media content as lead morning digital content producer, included updating and writing stories, uploading video and pictures, writing headlines, deciding homepage story placement and adding content to the station’s Facebook (+195,000 likes) and Twitter (+48,000 followers) accounts.
- Created and distributed accurate breaking news alerts for more than 150,000 email and mobile subscribers, often sending them before competition.
Investigative Reporting Workshop Washington, D.C. – Video Editor and Graduate Assistant
October 2013 – April 2014
- Served as teaching assistant for executive editor Charles Lewis, former ABC News and “60 Minutes” producer.
- Edited a series of video interviews with the producers of “Years of Living Dangerously,” a Showtime’s original documentary series on climate change.
- Oversaw Facebook and Twitter accounts for the Workshop.
Triangle Tribune Durham, North Carolina – General Assignment Reporter and Editor
September 2012 – June 2013
- Pitched, researched and reported for the state’s only Sunday newspaper that targets the African-Americans in Durham, Orange and Wake Counties.
- Developed enterprise stories daily for web. Articles later appeared in Sunday newspaper, which circulated an average of 10,000 copies.
- Shot and edited web video packages on local events including “Moral Monday” protests at the state Capitol and young voter registration drives.
- Missouri Broadcasters Association, best website for a large TV station, KSHB.com, 2016
- Tennessee Associated Press, second place award for best website, WATE.com, 2015
- Regional Edward R. Murrow Award, award for best website, WATE.com, 2015
Google Analytics, Omniture, CrowdTangle, Chartbeat, Final Cut Pro, Edius, Panasonic AG-HMC40 camera operation, basic HTML, Mobile newsgathering, Social News Desk, Tweet Deck, Hootsuite, Storify, AP Style, WorldNow Producer, WordPress VIP, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Garageband, Audacity, Soundslides, Adobe Marketing Cloud and AP ENPS
- Mentor for NABJ Multimedia Short Course, March 2017
- American University teaching assistant, Summer 2014
- Poynter Leadership Academy for Women in Digital Media, April 2017
- CNN Diversity Fellowship for Digital Journalists, Online News Association, September 2015
- NBC University, National Association of Black Journalists, August 2015
- March 2012 and May 2014 National Association Black Journalists Multimedia Short Course
- Reporter Institute, Society of Professional Journalists, 2012
National Association of Black Journalists
Online News Association
American University Master of Arts in Journalism and Public Affairs, August 2014
Peace College (William Peace University) Bachelor of Arts in Communication, May 2012
University of Granada Spanish, May 2011